To get a phone number for your business, VoIP is the most efficient way when compared to the traditional phone. There are several providers in the market, it is essential to understand and get to know what is VoIP how it works for your business?
Experts from LEAP Managed IT are here to help. This article shares some basic and essential information that will help guide you.
What is VoIP?
Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) is a technology that enables one to make and receive phone calls through the Internet instead of the traditional way. In other words, it is an internet-based phone technology that allows you to make and receive calls instead of using traditional phone lines. Thus, VoIP allows you to make and receive business calls from your laptop, tablet, and even compatible office phone sets.
Furthermore, it is cost-effective for both domestic and international calls because all calls are made over the internet, either using a SIP, a compatible desk phone or a calling app. Best of all, it offers advanced phone features, including call waiting, call routing, caller tones, auto-attendant, multiple phone numbers and more.
How does it VOIP work?
A VoIP phone system uses your internet connection instead of a traditional landline or mobile network to make phone calls. Over your broadband connection, a VoIP system converts analogue voice signals into digital signals.
Here, your voice is converts into a digital signal, compresses, and sends it over the internet with Voice over IP. In other words, the call between all participants is set up by a service provider. Then, the digital data is then uncompressed on the receiving end. Thus, resulting in the sound you hear through your headset or speakerphone. To connect calls to other telephone networks, a VoIP server is used.
A desk phone and a SIP server, which is usually a VoIP service provider, are typical VoIP configurations. It performs even better than a traditional landline phone because it provides far more features than analogue phone service ever could. Additionally, your data is securely stored in the cloud as it runs over the internet.
Pros and Cons of VoIP
- VoIP is extremely cost-effective , pay only for internet connection
- International calls are also free
- Rich features – offers a wide range of features, from call transfer, blocking, caller ID, voice mail to remote management, automatic call distribution, and interactive voice recognition
- Collaboration – is easily integrates with other systems to help employees collaborate via voice, video, web conferencing, or instant messaging, typically via a single user interface
- Increase productivity – Employees have the flexibility to use communication systems remotely and access data and networks anytime, anywhere
- Must have a reliable internet connection
- Might face latency and jitter if there are any other connection issues other than speed
- Difficult to pinpoint the origin of the call
Why Do Businesses Use VoIP?
Businesses have recognized the advantages and benefits of using VoIP over traditional telecom carriers. As a result, VoIP has become the backbone of most modern business phone systems. Thus, it is now the preferred phone solution for a variety of industries.
VoIP and It’s Features
The main reason companies are using to VoIP phone systems is the wide range of communication features that come with them.
Most importantly, look for basic features that most virtual service providers have:
- Call Forwarding – calls are forwarded to the selected number
- Call Transfer – calls are transferred to different departments and offices
- Custom Greetings – Automatic replies to greet customers and provide information about their business
- Call Log -Track Call Activity
- Interactive Voice Response (IVR) – Automatic response to navigate callers and direct them to the right department through a set of menus
- Conference call – Meeting with other departments and offices
- Time Zone Routing – Routes a call to a specific number at a specific time of the day
- Email from SMS, Email from Voicemail – Receive a copy of text and voicemail in your inbox.
How to Choose the Best VoIP Service Provider for Your Business?
Implementation of VoIP to your business would help with increased productivity. Partnering with a trusted VoIP provider guarantees a reliable setup with flexibility.
Hence, there are several providers in the market and do consider the following factors when choosing the best VoIP phone system,
- Initial and monthly cost
- Reliability and availability
- Customer service availability and quality
- Company longevity and reputation
- Ease handling of the products and services
- Customer reviews
Are you looking for expert guidance on choosing the right provider and its implementation? Visit our website, LEAP Managed IT. Similarly, we can help you with the best solutions by understanding your needs. Also, we handle Managed I.T, phone, Process Automation and more.
Lastly, to know more about LEAP Managed IT checkout the below video,