Technology has presented entrepreneurs with tremendous opportunities to expand their profits. Enhanced mobility, better productivity, easier storage – these are all significant benefits.
But with modern innovation come particular security challenges.
To ensure you’ll continue to profit off the benefits – without having to worry about putting your business at risk – keep these five cybersecurity tips in mind.
1. Secure Access to Stored Data
Maintaining a safe business network is paramount. It’s how you make sure your daily business operations will be carried on successfully.
It’s the best way to reduce the likelihood of your business being breached and your system being compromised.
So what measure can you take to significantly lessen the chances of hackers stealing and exploiting sensitive data?
- Start by ensuring your Internet connection is secure by using a firewall and encrypting information.
- In case your business has a WiFi network, it should be hidden. That means your wireless access point or router should not broadcast the network name.
- Use a strong password to secure access to the router.
These are just a few essential elements that should be included in your plan to secure your networks.
Making sure your IT system is an asset and not a hindrance to your business takes time, energy, and expertise.
Our services are designed to keep your business secure, so you can focus on other aspects of running your business.
2. Educate Your Employees on Data Security
Having a security system in place is not enough. You need to make sure your staff has a basic understanding regarding the importance of data protection as well.
Here are some tips that will help you achieve that:
- Inform your employees about online threats that might put business data at risk. Many employees are logging to social media networks from work, so make sure to include safe use of social networking sites.
- Establish internal security practices and policies. Employees should know how to handle sensitive data.
- Inform employees about the consequences of them not complying with established security practices.
3. Properly Maintain Your Servers
Servers work behind the scenes, but they take center stage when it comes to ensuring your business runs smoothly.
A server crashing or workstation failing unexpectedly often translates into:
- Costly downtimes
- Employees waiting around without being able to do their jobs
- A potential loss of critical data.
You see, an unreliable network is a not only an open invitation for hackers to target your business. It’s also a threat to performance and productivity.
Keeping a server running takes commitment. There are many aspects involved, such as:
- monitoring server activity and performance
- regularly cleaning your servers
- scanning them for viruses
We’re more than happy to make that commitment and take care of all preventive maintenance, so you’ll have one less thing to worry about.
4. Make Data Back-Up a Business Priority
One of the best cybersecurity tips revolves around the idea that it’s always better to be safe than sorry.
Having your hard drive crash and discovering your data is gone can have disastrous effects on your finances and reputation.
Having backups shows that you take protecting your company seriously. However, not all backups are equal.
For instance, saving files on a USB drive and keeping it with the laptop where data was originally stored is a flawed strategy. What happens if that bag gets lost or damaged?
5. Perform Ongoing Tests on Your Operating Systems
Ensuring security for your business should be a continuous effort – not just a single event. The IT environment is constantly changing and adapting, so it pays to be prepared.
That means performing tests for vulnerabilities and penetration by hackers on a regular basis.
Having a security-first mindset is one of the best ways to minimize risks and protect your business.
Need Help Putting These Cybersecurity Tips into Practice?
A weak IT system puts your company at risk, regardless of your business’ size.
Acting on the information provided in this article will help you create the kind of security environment your business needs to grow and thrive.
In case you need some assistance putting these cybersecurity tips into action, you’re in the right place.
We can help. For more information on how to get started, feel free to get in touch with our team of approachable geniuses.