First of all, recycling in general is a great practice. It allows individuals and organizations alike to contribute positively to our environment. With conscious effort in doing our share of responsibilities, we take part in the fight to have a healthy future for our planet. At present, organizations have developed a recycling protocol for toner cartridge. This ensure that they are doing their part for the environment. Many may not realize it now, but recycling toner cartridges will greatly make a difference.
Facts about Toner Cartridge Recycling
- Printer cartridges is made up of a complex combination of plastics, metals, foams, ink and toner. Throwing them into landfill represents a waste of resources. It contributes to the growing problem of electronic waste. Electronic waste is one of the fastest growing forms of waste.
- A cartridge can take up to 450 years to decompose. Some components of the cartridge take over 1,000 years.
- Cartridges discarded in landfills leak into soil and waterways. It leads to water and air pollution due to the emissions.
- Each recycled ink cartridge saves about two ounces of oil. Making most products from recycled materials uses less water and energy than making them from new materials.
- Currently, only around one-third of the cartridges are recycled, which means that the rest 70% goes to waste. Since cartridges take up to years to completely decompose. Most companies all over the world have taken an initiative to spread the benefits associated with recycling.
In the End
Major companies like Canon have already supported the move and have collaborated with programs that recycle toner cartridges. By raising awareness, sending a global message to all the other companies to take a step in the positive direction. At LEAP Managed IT, we encourage and support you to participate in various recycling programs. Keeping in mind that in the end, this world will be a better place to live in.